Can't Wait for My Turn to Tap on the Keys

Best Blogger Tips

TODAY'S VOICE …The One Waiting…Sometimes nothing seems to be working. The plans are made, researched, written down and never followed through because something is always in the way. We spend our life rushing, harried and irritated at the people and the problems that seem to be our blockage.

Sometimes (more often than not) I have to stop the complaining about being held up and try to figure out why the Lord is giving me this extra time to stand. Maybe He is trying to save me from something that is coming my way and the extra wait will give me a chance to pray. Whether it is for the person in front of me, the situation I’m about to get into, or myself. I used to abhor waiting until Rita made an appearance in our lives. I learned a lot from that hurricane, the leaving of all that you couldn’t carry, the (what seemed like) 50 million hours on the road, and the 23 people (thank God they were family and the ones I liked) all living in one two bedroom house for two weeks. I learned that waiting is nothing when I arrive alive, my destination or plans all seem to fall into place, and (this is my favorite) the child I have been sitting in the car waiting on to come out of school, a job or wherever runs to the car and smiles because she is just happy to see me. I thank God for my wait. Speaking of God, let me share this with you…

RUSHING TO WAIT

Frankie, startled by an unknown entity sat up in bed and brushed the hair from her face.

Oh my gosh!” Looking at the alarm clock, she threw her legs over the side of the bed in a trembling rush. “I’m going to be late.”

Rushing to the bathroom, Frankie tripped over the dog and the blankets that were still wrapped around her left foot. Irritated and knowing that she would not have enough time to wait for the antiquated plumbing system to warm the water, Frankie stripped her clothes and stepped under the freezing flow of water. Dressing as fast as she could, she rushed down the stairs. Narrowly missing the cat and a death trip to the landing below.

Frankie loved freshly percolated coffee, but knew that she would have to make do with a cup of instant. Pushing her hair into a ponytail, she grabbed a cold toaster pastry, placed it between her teeth, picked up the keys and her cell phone and ran out of the door to her car. Needing to call her first customer and explain her lateness she navigated the car with her right knee and left hand while digging through her purse for her address book.

The next thing she knew, she was standing in a line of what seemed to be millions of harried looking people. Men who repeatedly checked their watches and women that irritably switched their weight from one foot to the other while clicking their tongues.

“God, I’m going to be late.” She whispered in the ear of the man standing in front of her. “How long do you think this will take? How long have you been waiting?”

“I don’t know. My watch doesn’t seem to be working anymore, but it feels like an eternity.”

The Voice

3 comments:

Debra Harris-Johnson said... Best Blogger Tips

This is such a magnificent story, I read it three times. Bravo!!!

Jessica Ferguson said... Best Blogger Tips

You have a beautiful flow and rhythm to your writing. You show us your heart. I wish you'd write a devotional book. Will you?

Holli said... Best Blogger Tips

Beautiful! I really enjoy reading your blog. I like your unique coupling of story and reflection. Bravo.

Those Feeling My Voice