Stretchin' Over the Keys

Best Blogger Tips

TONIGHT’S VOICE …The Skin I’m In… Have you ever wondered who you really are? Whose skin are you really wearing? Are you just your mother’s child? Your husband’s wife? Your children’s mother? Who are you at work? Church? With your acquaintances? It’s amazing how the skin gets kneaded and transformed when peer pressure is pushing on you. From the day of birth we are constantly trying and somehow succeeding in changing ourselves to fit into whatever skin that is pushed our way. Lately I am having the hardest time trying to figure out who I am and what I am supposed to be doing in life. As long as I can remember I wanted to be an artist and then I wanted to write. How happy I was when I realized I could do both. How I fell into the field of childcare I don’t know. I constantly hear how I have a gift from God, this is where and what I am supposed to be doing…yada, yada, blah, blah, blah...you know the words. Over the past week I have been feeling as if my skin has been stretched around this profession by those around me and I am about to pop a thread. I believe writing a blog really helps, because as I write the answers to my thoughts always come forth. It's not that I want to stop working with children it is the knowledge that my world around me is really changing. My main reason for working from home was to be with my daughters. My daughters are remolding me from the 'mommy skin' into the mother skin. The youngest has graduated from home-school and the middle daughter (my first college graduate, the eldest will graduate next May)moved to Houston on Saturday. Life is changing. I have been their instructor in life for twenty-four very close years and the new skin that's trying to take over is grating. I feel like I'm a butterfly stuck in between the cocoon and the free world and just like that butterfly I need a moment of rest. Psa. 116:7 Be at rest once more, O my soul, for the LORD has been good to you. (NIV)

In a couple of weeks I'll shake out the wrinkles of this new skin and hopefully be a whole new me. The me I have always wanted to be.

1 comments:

Jessica Ferguson said... Best Blogger Tips

When our children grow up and leave us, it's a strange feeling. The house is too quiet. I told my daughter I didn't know how much noise she made until she left. For years I did nothing but play with her--we'd color and put together puzzles and write stories and go to movies...

It took me awhile to adjust to all the time I had on my hands. And to the silence. And finally, I found myself...or maybe I popped out of my cocoon. You'll find a new you. And you'll like her because she'll have so many new ideas and dreams.

Run with her! Get lost in the new.

Those Feeling My Voice